More To Look At

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

AO Quarterfinals

Last night I watched Roger Federer's quarterfinal vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. It was kind of odd waking up when I heard my brother going to bed. lol. 1:30am was a little too early for my eyes to wake up to. I only got to sleep for about five or six hours before waking up to watch tennis. But I was able to go to sleep for a couple of hours after the match as well. This is the week that my sleep is all wonky though so I expect it I guess.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Roger Federer before their quarterfinal match.
So the match ... Tsonga was able to get two sets on Federer. Federer won the first set at 7-6(4) in 50 minutes. Tsonga then got the second set at 6-4 in 32 minutes. The third set went to Federer at 7-6(4) in 53 minutes. Fourth set was the second set Tsonga won at 6-3 in 40 minutes. And finally Federer won the fifth set at 6-3 in 39 minutes. So over all Federer defeated Tsonga 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(4) 3-6 6-3 in a total of three hours and 34 minutes. So it was Roger's first five set match this tournament as well as the first two times he has dropped a set. In Tsonga's defense he, Tsonga, was playing really good tennis. Roger had a few wonky shots. And a lot of unforced errors during this match. Also he only made 6 aces during the whole five set match. That is very odd of him. Hopefully he recovers and comes to the semifinal a lot more like his old playing self.

Overall Stats for Federer-Tsonga match. {Click to Enlarge.}
I thought there were a few times where Roger was not really himself. Tsonga was taking the initiative on some of these points. It was a very good match. I really enjoyed watching the whole thing.

* * * * *

The rest of the men's quarterfinals were quite good too.

The first quarterfinal we had was Novak Djokovic vs. Tomas Berdych. I watched this match as a rebroadcast. I really liked enjoyed it. Both players were playing well. Novak won 6-1 4-6 6-1 4-6 in 151 minutes.

The second quarterfinal was David Ferrer vs. Nicolas Almagro. I watched part of this match as well. It was very good. Almagro almost had Ferrer a couple of times but he couldn't capitalize on any points. David Ferrer won. 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 6-2 in 224 minutes.

The third quarterfinal was between Andy Murray and Jeremy Chardy. Andy just ran away with this match. Andy winning in 111 minutes at 6-4 6-1 6-2. I did not watch this match but I saw highlights and Andy is playing great tennis. I think finally winning a major has really helped his confidence. Jeremey is an unseeded player that surprising got past some great players. But he couldn't beat Andy.

The last quarterfinal was Roger's.

No comments: