More To Look At

Monday, January 19, 2015

Black and White Block of the Month quilt

Mom's friends from church are doing a beginner quilt along. Ladies get together every month and learn about sewing. We had our first meeting the other week. We got the quilt pattern that we are going to do. While they were discussing quilting and sewing and picking out fabrics I was online via my phone looking at fabric trying to decide what color scheme to go with. I decided on doing a black and white quilt with some pop of color. After going to the fabric store on Saturday I ended up buying three bright yellow, six different black and six different whites. I also found the perfect backing that is black and white. That fabric got me really excited about doing this sampler quilt in black and white. Mom seemed hesitant about the whole black and white quilt idea. But it's my quilt and I think it is going to be awesome.

The quilt design.

The quilt we are doing is called "Pioneer Sampler" designed by TK Harrison for BOMquilts.com. The pattern has directions for two different sizes. The baby quilt finishes to 36"x45". The finished blocks for the baby quilt are 9". The twin quilt finishes to 63"x81". The finished blocks for the twin quilt are 18". I decided to do the twin size quilt. I am not going to put the border on my quilt. I'll bind it right after putting the blocks together. So my quilt will be approximately 54"x72". That's 4 1/2 feet x 6 feet. It's a nice size quilt.

So fabrics ...

This is my backing. I LOVE this fabric so much.

Isn't it a lovely pile.
All of my fabrics are geometric patterns. I think that will work best with the quilt.

The Whites.

The Blacks.

The Pop of Yellows.
With the yellows I was looking for the base color to be the pop of color in the fabric. But I stumbled upon that white/yellow in the top left corner and it fit so well. And I need a third yellow.

Today I sketched out the blocks on graph paper and colored them with my color scheme. Now I have a better idea of what fabric colors will go where in my quilt. And I really do love this b/w/y idea so much. It's going to be awesome!


No comments: