More To Look At

Friday, April 20, 2012

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

I just finished reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy this morning. It was so good! I knew the first half of the story because I remember watching the BBC mini-series that was done several years ago. But I didn't see the ending therefore that was all new to me. I wasn't expecting it to end like it did but I feel like it could not have ended any other way.

Tess of the d'Urbervilles is about a young woman. Here is what it says on the back of my book:
Violated by one man, forsaken by another, Tess Durbeyfield is the magnificent and spirited heroine of Thomas Hardy's immortal work. Of all the great English novelists, no one writes more eloquently of tragic destiny than Hardy. With the innocent and powerless victim, Tess, he creates profound sympathy for human frailty, while passionately indicting the injustices of Victorian society. Scorned upon its publication in 1891 by outraged readers, Tess of the d'Urbervilles is today one of the enduring classics of nineteenth-century literature.
It vaguely tells you what Tess is about. A young woman who is violated by one man and forsaken by another. The story tells the tale of her hardships while she tries to deal with the consequences of the events that happen in her life. I thought the book was, indeed, eloquently written. I liked it very much. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a classic.

No comments: